Harvard Media Calgary Origin Story
Rocking the Airwaves and Empowering Local Businesses Since 2007
Harvard Media Calgary’s story began in January 2007, with the launch of CFEX-FM, known as X92.9. X was launched with a vision of providing a rock alternative station to the Calgary market - at the same time providing industry knowledge and expertise to local businesses in the area, helping them reach their advertising and marketing goals, by connecting audiences with the businesses who serve them.
Harvard Media Calgary Milestones and Achievements
Harvard Media Calgary's X929 is a leader in the media industry. The only Alternative station in North America that achieved the number one status for Adults 25-54, all week and across all day parts according to Numeris R223. Our Music Director, Matt Berry, is a double winner of the Music Director of the Year award at the Broadcast Dialogue Canadian Radio Awards in 2021 and 2022. The mind behind our distinctive sound and our iconic 'No Nickelback' policy that has been in place since 2007.
At X929, we're always looking ahead. We live by the mantra, 'What’s New and What’s Next” We've given numerous bands their first taste of the global stage and have harnessed technology to foster a more interactive and supportive community.
Some other cool things to note:
- Our X92.9 pop-up events bring our listeners closer to some of the stations’ biggest artists like Arkells, grandson and many more in some of Calgary’s wildest locations!
- We host the 'One Weekend Only' event in Banff, treating 200 lucky listeners to a weekend of live music, accommodations, and performances from bands like Metric, Arkells, Chris Cornell, The Beaches, grandson, and July Talk.
At X929 we're about pushing boundaries and creating unforgettable experiences.
Harvard Media Calgary's Connection to the Community
X929: What’s New and What’s Next
At X929, our goal is to make a difference. With our year-round initiative, "X Broadcasting Change," we support environmental causes, community development, and inclusivity in Calgary and area. We utilize our airtime and digital platforms to spotlight organizations that align with these values.
In collaboration with other organizations - we were able to distribute over 10,000 pairs of warm socks to those in need during the winter months.This initiative is known as “Sox that Rock”.
Some other ways Harvard Media Calgary connects to the community:
- During election season, we run JustVoteDammit.com, a platform that provides information on voting locations, candidate profiles, and a strong call to action for everyone to exercise their democratic right.
- Our weekly "Xposure" program is a dedicated space for showcasing the talents of local and national Canadian artists.
- We host "X929 Studio Take Overs," a unique opportunity for fans to interact with their favorite bands.
- Our social media platforms are dedicated to supporting local causes, amplifying local voices, and celebrating community achievements.
At X929, we love to entertain and connect but above that - we're a community partner.
Harvard Media Calgary's Special Qualities
Celebrating Calgary: A Few Of Our Favorites
Calgary effortlessly combines the excitement of a big city with natural beauty and outdoor adventure. We have well known events like the Calgary Stampede, an annual celebration of Western heritage that includes rodeo events, chuckwagon races, and concerts. Calgary is home to great architecture, such as Peace Bridge and the Calgary Tower, which offer a fantastic view of the city skyline.
A few more special things about Calgary:
- Fish Creek Provincial Park, one of the largest urban parks in North America
- The Wonderland Sculpture, outside the Bow Building
- The Rocky Mountains - a favourite for the skiing enthusiasts
At Harvard Media Calgary, we are lucky to be on 17th ave, in close proximity to great food and parks. Calgary is a city that truly has it all.
Why Harvard Media Calgary
Welcome to your Calgary, through the airwaves of X929
Harvard Media Calgary is your go-to for discovering bands before they make it big. We're more than just a broadcast and media company - we're a part of the fabric of Calgary, intertwined with the local arts, entertainment, and culture. Whether you tune in on your morning drive, stream us on the app while you clean your house or drop by our studio, you'll find a community of music lovers and local entertainment and restaurant enthusiasts . We're here to keep you connected, welcomed, and included, we are real people who aim to connect with real people. Our on air talent connects with listeners, and our Media Marketing Consultants craft effective marketing strategies to get your business out in front of people who need your products and services. If you are looking to work with a team who loves Calgary, and works to be better every day - you’ve found us!
Harvard Local Media
Harvard Media provides advertising and media services to businesses all over Canada. Take a look at the markets we have physical footprints in below.