Harvard Media Regina Origin Story
From Grain Market Broadcasts to Digital Media Leaders
The seeds of Harvard Media were sown almost a century ago with 620 CKRM. Beginning as a modest broadcasting service in 1926 by grain merchants James Richardson and Sons, has grown into a media powerhouse. The station, originally intended to inform the local area of grain market prices, is a tradition we continue to honor today.
Over the years, our reach has grown, but our commitment to community has remained. In 1940, we moved to Regina and began our transformation, shifting gears to an easy listening format. CKRM found its rhythm in country music by 1971 and further expanded its reach in 2001, moving to a stronger signal on the dial. Today, 620CKRM provides news, entertainment, and Country's Greatest Hits to listeners across several provinces and even into North Dakota.
Our story doesn’t stop there. CHMX-FM, formerly known as CFMQ-FM, joined our family in 1981. After several transformations, it emerged as Play 92 in 2020, a station focusing on throwbacks and quality entertainment. Next up, CFWF-FM, initially known as CKIT-FM. Undergoing a few iterations before becoming 104.9 The Wolf Regina's Rock Station, in 1996.
Harvard Media Regina Milestones and Achievements
At Harvard Media Regina, we aren't just witnessing history; we're making it. The milestones we celebrate are based on our commitment to excellence, innovation, and community growth. In 1983, we kick-started a long-lasting relationship with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the beginning of a strong partnership - with Harvard Media being the official broadcasting voice of the Riders.
Additional milestones include:
- Partnership with Boscoe Homes to lay the foundation for what is now known as Country Thunder, North America's longest running outdoor music festival.
- Our stations have won numerous awards including Station of the Year, Program Director of the year, Music Director of the Year, and On-Air Personality of the Year. In 2017 104.9 The Wolf was named Canada’s Medium Market Station of the Year.
- Our support for the country music industry has been recognized by the Saskatchewan Country Music Association and the Canadian Country Music Association.
- Our 620 CKRM broadcast is one of the longest-running Agriculture broadcasts in the country, providing essential news and market insights to Saskatchewan's farming community.
We are committed to being a leader in the media space, our team is proud of the hard work we have put in throughout our journey to reach these milestones, and we will continue this work to serve our listeners, customers and communities.
Harvard Media Regina's Connection to the Community
Shaping the Media Landscape, One Achievement at a Time
Harvard Media Regina is a dedicated community partner committed to serving, uplifting, and empowering our audience and their causes. With an ability to swiftly respond to world events and provide a platform for diverse voices to share their stories, we actively contribute to the growth and development of our communities. Our digital presence brand reputation make us a trusted leader in community messaging. We've formed longstanding relationships with major community sports teams like the Saskatchewan Roughriders, Regina Pats, and University of Regina Rams, celebrating local talent and fostering community spirit.
More ways we are connected to our community:
- We support the Jim Pattison Children's Hospital Foundation with our annual Children’s Hospital Radiothon. Since 2002, we've raised over 15 million dollars
- We are dedicated to rural communities. Through initiatives like the Country Cookouts and our listener appreciation parties, we bring joy and a sense of belonging to farmers, ranchers, and their neighbors.
- Our efforts range from helping at a soup kitchen through our "30 Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" campaign to supporting 2SLGBTQ+ youth facing homelessness through "Walk the Walk." We are invested in the wellbeing of our community members.
We've fostered long standing partnerships with organizations like the Regina Foodbank and the Saskatchewan Auctioneers Association.From launching the nationally recognized "Ten Most Wanted" initiative to helping raise funds for various local charities, we are always seeking ways to serve. We understand the power of media in shaping communities.
Harvard Media Regina's Special Qualities
What we love about living in the Queen City
Regina is a city filled with unique charm, from a variety of farmers markets to local gems like Lincoln Gardens in Lumsden - you can always find a great local spot to take the family.
As much as we love the Queen city, the small communities around us are really special too. Whether it's the global music festival in Bengough, the Moose Mountain rodeo in Kennedy, or the Thunder on the Prairies tractor pulls in Odessa, you will find our teams there both enjoying and promoting the things going on in our communities.
Some other staples include:
- A Rider home game or concert at Mosaic Stadium
- A stroll with a friend around Wascana Park, one of the largest city parks in North America.
- Visiting our partner the RCMP museum to take in some history
- Regina's historic neighborhoods, such as Cathedral and Lakeview, be sure to check out all the local shops around the area.
- unique local restaurants
So, whether you're a resident or a visitor, let Harvard Media Regina keep you connected to the businesses and events that are taking place . We're not just in the media business; we're in the business of community growth.
Why Harvard Media Regina
Creating Vibrant Connections in the Heart of Regina
At Harvard Media Regina—we connect. We connect with businesses, audiences and each other. We are located in downtown Regina, but our voice broadcasts across the prairies - every day our airwaves come alive with diverse stories, music and messages from local businesses and the community. We've mastered the art of blending information with entertainment, ensuring each frequency is unique and leaves a mark in the minds of our listeners.We are a well known voice in Regina - sharing your morning commute, your workday, and striving to make you laugh and spark conversations.
Harvard Local Media
Harvard Media provides advertising and media services to businesses all over Canada. Take a look at the markets we have physical footprints in below.